I have been a Planning Supervisor under CDM1994, a CDM Co-ordinator under CDM2007 and am now qualified, via courses and tests run by the Association for Project Safety, to be a CDM Principal Designer under CDM2015.|
I am a member of the Association for Project Safety.
Set out below are the main duties of a CDM Principal Designer (PD) under the CDM Regulations 2015
The PD has an obligation to:
- give suitable and sufficient advice and assistance to Clients to help them to comply with their duties (see Duties) but, in particular:
- to ensure that the appointed designers and contractors are 'competent' in health & safety matters
- to ensure there are suitable management arrangements for the project including welfare facilities
- to allow sufficient time and resources for all stages (including preparation and lead-in)
- to notify the HSE about the project †
- where relevant to health and safety, to co-ordinate design work, planning and other preparation for construction
- to identify and collect Pre-construction Information (PCI) and advise the client if surveys need to be commissioned to fill any significant gaps
- to provide, in a convenient form, to designers and contractors (who may be or have been appointed by the client) relevant parts of the Pre-Construction Information
- to manage the flow of health and safety information between clients, designers and contractors
- to advise the client on the suitability of the Principal Contractor's initial Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan (HSP) and the arrangements made to ensure that welfare facilities are on site from the start
- to produce and update a relevant, user friendly, Health and Safety File (HSF) †† suitable for future use at the end of the construction phase.
It should be noted that where jobs are very small (e.g. minor maintenance jobs or simple domestic jobs) it is appropriate to apply the regulations in a 'proportional' way.
|†||A project is notifiable to the HSE using form F10 if the construction phase takes either:|
more than 30 days to complete and there are 20 or more contractors on the site at any one time, or
more than 500 person.days to complete.
|††||The Health & Safety File is an end-of-project collection of relevant facts, data sheets, instructions and residual health & safety issues|